Friday, August 26, 2011

Chaste By The Demon.

The Menu Card graphic posted previously, designed and executed by MMM, was for the White Cockade Lunch & Tea Room, part of the 1911 Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry.
The White Cockade was situated on one balcony of the Garden Club building which overlooked the Bandstand. The opposite balcony was occupied by by the Grosvenor Restaurant.

Kate Cranston also had another establishment at the exhibition, the Red Lion Cafe, a sister establishment if you will, which followed the Scottish National History theme of the exhibition.
This cafe was overlooking the Music Court at the Palace of Industries, and the Menu Card was designed by the Sister of MMM, Frances Macnair.
Frances tends not to get as much publicity as MMM, which hopefully is changing, as she was a visionary artist.
Herewith below, please find my cover version of the Red Lion Cafe Menu.

I have taken a great deal of licence/license with this version, mostly because I did not understand what Frances was doing with the hands of the figure. So I did my own homage version.
I hope Frances approves.

The original can be seen here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the cover we had on our menu at the place I was incarcerated. It's a small world indeed.. to say I'm blown away would be a gross understatement...

8:15 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Dick, it is a small world, full of fine food & claret.

Just like me.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home